Costs of development

Developing a project, even a small one, can be expensive. From when I started working on the Open Journal Matcher in earnest (in January) to when it was more or less complete in its current form (in the beginning of October), I probably spent about $1000 of my grant money. To me, this is a lot of money. It is definitely more than I would have been willing to spend personally. Needless to say, I am grateful for the funding.

The OJM is never going to be self-sufficient. It exists to help others; but unfortunately keeping it online is not free. Ultimately, I think it can be very cheap over the long term, so as to be sustainable. But the upfront development costs were considerable, from the perspective of my limited pocketbook. I think it needs to be pointed out that this kind of monetary hurdle prevents many worthy and interesting projects from ever being realized.

This entry was posted in funding, journal recommender. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.
  • Subscribe to this blog