Into the strangeness

There’s a lot of strangeness writing JavaScript for the web. The edge cases are sometimes mind-bending. This is sometimes not the fault of JavaScript itself, but can be due to the other, non-JS things that the browser is doing.

I ran into such problems recently when modifying a widget that provides access to our library’s discovery service, OneSearch. I wanted the widget to open OneSearch in a new tab (shouldn’t be a big deal, right?), but oh boy did that open a can of worms.

The variety of behaviors that I got from different users of the widget was stunning. Sometimes it would open one tab, sometimes two, sometimes three tabs. Sometimes it would get caught by a pop-up blocker, sometimes not. I couldn’t pin the behavior down to any specific browser type, browser version, or OS. Some of my fixes worked for some users, but not for others.

I won’t go into the gory details, but I did solve the problem. Unfortunately, this was not by fully understanding what JavaScript and the browser were doing, but by walking back the changes I had made to my code until I located the problem, and then adjusting from there.

I remain in awe of the strangeness of JavaScript, and I walk carefully, fearfully, in its presence.

This entry was posted in javascript. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.
Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message