DX and vue in libguides

While I was very optimistic about Vue Single File Components (SFCs) a few posts ago, I’ve been having some trouble implementing them in LibGuides. While you can upload whatever JavaScript you want to a LibGuides group (as “Customization Files”), I’m beginning to realize that the LibGuides interface really wasn’t meant to accommodate a SFC workflow. As developer experience (DX), attempting to use SFCs in LibGuides is trying to put a square peg into a round hole. While you’d ultimately want to automate your JavaScript build process, LibGuides actively works against this. You’re left moving a lot of files around manually, which is not ideal. It gets confusing.

Nonetheless, I learned a lot about Vue components as I slowly figured this out. I was able to take the methods I wrote for my SFCs and re-implement them in regular old components while drawing upon Vue from a CDN. LibGuides is much more suited to this approach. You lose scoped CSS and some nice build features, but as far as I can tell, that’s about it. I can keep my components in the Customization Files, and cut out the build process entirely. It’s the best approach I’ve found so far to integrate Vue into LibGuides.

This entry was posted in javascript, libguides, vue. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.
  • Subscribe to this blog