Preliminary thoughts on Google Cloud Platform

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was granted a bunch of Google Cloud Platform credits. I’ve started using them, and here are my initial thoughts:

1. There is a Cloud Platform service for most of the use cases I can imagine for my project. This means that there are a lot of options to consider.
  2. It’s already becoming clear that there’s a fair bit of platform lock-in, even if you only consider the technical debt incurred by shoehorning existing code into Google services.
  3. The costs are about in line with what I expected. I’ve been coding against the platform pretty intensively for three weeks now, and it has cost me $43.32 in credits so far. In brief, more than I’d be willing to spend from my own pocket. I’m quite willing to spend the credits they’ve given me, though.
  4. Ironically, some of these tools are very hard to google! Good luck getting precise technical help when searching terms like “google cloud function”!
This entry was posted in google. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.
  • Subscribe to this blog